Monday, January 2, 2012

Americans and SOPA

America...
I am currently waching a movie called Deep Impact. For those who don´t know, this movie is about a comet whose trajectory passes through Earth. Basically is just like Armageddon (and both of them were released on the same year).
During the movie I couldn´t stop thinking about the power that the president of the United States has. It´s just like: if the future of the planet depends on the push of a button, he pushes it; if a decision has to be made, his opinion is the most important...
And all that made me think about S.O.P.A. - the Stop Online Piracy Act. The U.S. right know holds the power to change the only thing that is supposed to be uncensored: the Internet.
Once again, every american has the power to make a change. But is that change positive? Let´s think about it...
I love this T.V. show called How I Met Your Mother. In my country sometimes it´s broadcasted over a year late. One of my options is to wait more than a year for the episode to air. As I´m one of luckiest people ever, my life makes me miss the show. Then, I have to wait more than a week for it to be re-broadcasted.
By then, I am obliged to watch at that moment, or I may never watch it again.
Now, with torrents and p2p sharing, I have the chance to watch the episodes I never had the chance to. It´s not wrong... It`s just an amazing human capacity to provide every single internet user with an equal opportunity, in this case, to watch my favorite show. Without illegal sharing, this show (and the rest of the shows worldwide) would lose millions of viewers...
[sent from mobile]

No comments:

Post a Comment